Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 2 - Destination ~ Sedona

Needles to Sedona...  It was more of the same....  barren land, trains running on both sides of the highway,  and dust blowing across the open expanses.  Due to starting my day on a sleep depravation status, I was soon turning the wheel over to Scott.  I dozed to the sounds of Country/Western tunes, and was pleasantly surprised when I opened my eyes 30 minutes later when I saw pine trees everywhere.  We started the decent into Sedona making one stop at a vista view.  We were on a mission to get to the lodge, settle in and venture out for sunset.  The plan was to spend on night here and I think part of that might have been the fact that neither Scott or I are into the tourist scene.  The actual town of Sedona was hopping, and at some point in my life would have been very enticing, but when we came to the opposite edge of town, I felt relieved to be out of the fray.

Our Aussie you-know-what was guiding us along to the Sky Ranch Lodge, which is located right next to the Sedona airport.  Scott had scouted out this pet-friendly place on the net.  He said it was only given 2-stars, but that the reviews averaged 4.8.  Well, it's an adventure, right?  And really, after spending yesterday in a Motel 6, what could possibly be worse?  

This place is not even close to a Motel 6.  It is fabulous. Gorgeous grounds, great views, and the airport doesn't operate at night since it's mostly helicopter scenic tours that use it during the day.  We are up on a huge hillside, overlooking Sedona.  Pathways meander through the property, and they have even made a beautiful patio just for viewing the sunsets.  The Mesa Cafe looks out onto the runway of the airport, and was the perfect place to have dinner.  Well, it's so great that we are staying an extra day!!

At some point I'm going to tell a story about the people we've met so far.  Some highlights include bucket lists and runway lights.  Now, though, I'm heading for my pillow as sunrise is right around the corner.

1 comment:

  1. At times like this, it really IS nice to have an open itinerary. Great photo and we'll have to check the place out if/when we get to Sedona again.

    ReplyDelete