Thursday, May 31, 2012

Darrin Denny ~ Rock Artist



Darrin Denny, Canyon De Chelly Rock Artist ~ No, he's not a musician, but he is an awesome painter and also does etchings.  We met him at the Tunnel Overlook viewing area in the Canyon.  The Native Americans lay out their art creations at each stop.  Most say hello, but nothing more.  Darrin, however, went further by asking if we had just arrived in the Canyon, and so a conversation ensued.  He lives on the Navajo Indian Reservation and is part of the Naakaii Dine & Todik'=zhi (Navajo clans).  Since 1994, Darrin has been crafting one-of-a-kind rock paintings and etchings.  In his own words, he draws his inspiration  from the walls of the Canyon and uses various stones found in the area landscape. He told us a lot about the Canyon, including the fact that the lack of water is due to a dam that has been built to make a lake.  I asked if it was a lake for boating and he said yes, it is a recreational area.   Scott said that didn't seem fair, and Darrin's only comment was, "Agreed."  This kind of accepting attitude was witnessed time and again when talking with the Navajo people.  Rather than making a big deal of situations, they trust that the Creator will take care of them as they find new ways to cope.

The most impressive thing about Darrin was his trust.  Neither Scott nor I had enough cash on hand to pay for the piece we wanted to purchase.  I told him we just needed to find an ATM, and he gave us directions.  He wrapped up the piece, gave it to us, and said he would stop by our room at the lodge after he ran some errands.   Scott and I know we are trustworthy, but he had no idea.  This attitude of trust touched me deeply.  

Not only is the Darrin's artistry beautifully painted or etched onto the stone, but each piece tells a story.  The journey of the Navajo people is told on ours.  Whenever I look at it, I'll think of Darrin and his life on the Navajo reservation.

2 comments:

  1. I bought one of his paintings last week and I love it. He is talkative! Nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darrin was a very very nice guy ..we bought a piece from him many years ago and are looking to buy another this September I'm so glad I found this information on Google so I will be texting him soon

    ReplyDelete